Name:
Location: San Marcos, California, United States

Southern gal living in California. Have been writing since the age of ten and am addicted to the written word. Have stacks of books-to-be-read in almost every room. I teach writing on a volunteer basis and in a paid position. I once worked with foreign customers for an aerospace company; interesting job that gave me great insight into other cultures. Family scattered all over the US so have excuses to travel.

Friday, August 14, 2009

FINDING ALL THE ERRORS

With the submission of my latest book, and the editorial comments, I had a fresh look at editing. Although I chose not to spend the big bucks for their editing servies, the first reader pointed out the best of my writing skills, and where I need work. I used these comments to edit/rewrite the entire manuscript. And I am sure those points will be used over and over when I seek publication of my other work.

Here are some of the things I have learned to look for and do:

Seek out dilengently those excess words we all use (just, that, etc.)
Watch those tenses. The change sneaks up on us.
Use the best, strongest verbs we can; snuggle, jog, demand, scream, fight...
Tighten up the work; we write too much, add excess scenes, offer mucho narrative.
Don't depend on Spell/Grammar Check.
Have the right details that will add color to our story.
Seek to write dialog that moves our story along, offers description; show, not tell.

And I learned to not listen to everything you are told. For example, don't change your voice, the special way you tell the story, not for anyone. If you characters are moving this story along, don't rewrite until the plot overwhelms their voice. These were two things I was told to do, and refused to do.

My readers expect to receive a certain type of story from me, and I hope I continue to give them what they want to read. Do the same for your readers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home