Name:
Location: San Marcos, California, United States

Southern gal living in California. Have been writing since the age of ten and am addicted to the written word. Have stacks of books-to-be-read in almost every room. I teach writing on a volunteer basis and in a paid position. I once worked with foreign customers for an aerospace company; interesting job that gave me great insight into other cultures. Family scattered all over the US so have excuses to travel.

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

DRAGONFLIES

While in Florida, I sat on the screened-in patio (the mosquitos in Florida are large enough to carry you off) and watched not one but three dragonflies run up the screen to escape the rain. My son-in-law thinks they are grosteque looking bugs and I have always been fascinatd by them. That interest caused my husband to purchase a lovely dragonfly broach for me one Christmas; it is still on my favorite coat.

Webster describes the dragonfly as "a long thin flying insect with transparent wings and a shimmering body." Those wings seem iridescent and I find them beautiful. I've never written about them, or this fascination I have with them. I suppose once I thuoght about doing so because recently while going through one of my journals I found information I had collected on my fairy-like winged beauties.

There was the description, a picture of one snipped from a Zoo News Magazine and a snippet of background. It seems that in Japan the dragonfly was once revered to the point that soldiers of old wore them on their helmets or headgear as a symbol of strength. Can you imagine such tiny creatures being entwined with the belief of strength?

I like the other information I made a note of best: Dragonflies encourage us to let go of the past and welcome the winds of change.

I am open for the dragonfly to bless me with such encouragement as I need a change in my writing life--if I make it through next weeks book submission.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home