Name:
Location: San Marcos, California, United States

Southern gal living in California. Have been writing since the age of ten and am addicted to the written word. Have stacks of books-to-be-read in almost every room. I teach writing on a volunteer basis and in a paid position. I once worked with foreign customers for an aerospace company; interesting job that gave me great insight into other cultures. Family scattered all over the US so have excuses to travel.

Friday, August 07, 2009

FACE TO FACE

Recently, my good friend and writer, Carol, discussed a project she had undertaken for an organization she belongs to. She is to write an article for the newsletter about a fellow member. This may sound like a fairly easy task for an excellent writer but there are several obstacles.

Carol doesn't know this member very well. The subject is very quiet, never speaks out at meetings, and there was no way they could meet before the article had to be turned in. Carol stated she was going to give her a telephone call--"to at least hear her voice." Her question to me was did I feel face-to-face interviews were the best way to go, and could the second best be an interview by telephone?

I went back twenty-five years to the memory of a college course I took on reporting.
Paul McLeod was my instructor, as well as being a reporter for the Orange County (CA) Register and several other local newspapers. He made the classes so intesting I never wanted to miss a class. And he was one who always gave us the opportunity to have a "hands on" session.

Paul told us interviewing someone face-to-face would guarantee an emotion-packed interview. He cautioned us to have our questions in mind, of course, but we should also look the interviewee in the eyes, note the reactions/emotions, and always watch the bodylanguage. Writing an interview, he told us, was much more than words. His second choice would be a telephone interview; make sure to listen to the tone of the voice.

I never thought I would find myself in my mid-forties interviewing a 6' 7" college basketball star--and enjoyiing it. I added the sound of the crowd, the rush of the game, and the expressions on the players face to enhance my words. It's the same way I conducted an interview of a local rock star after the loudest concert I can remember ever attending. Beneath the wild hair-do and dark makeup/lipstick, was a sweet gal with a great voice. What an experience Paul gave us all--interviews in living color--words and expressions used to the max.



Even today, I feel Paul had excellent advice. Being in the presence of someone you are tasked to write about adds all the personal touch you need to offer an article complete in all ways.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home