Name:
Location: San Marcos, California, United States

Southern gal living in California. Have been writing since the age of ten and am addicted to the written word. Have stacks of books-to-be-read in almost every room. I teach writing on a volunteer basis and in a paid position. I once worked with foreign customers for an aerospace company; interesting job that gave me great insight into other cultures. Family scattered all over the US so have excuses to travel.

Saturday, May 23, 2009

A WRITER'S GUIDELINES

I am always clipping articles from all sorts of sources that I feel might prove beneficial later. Recently, I decided it was time to go through some of those clippings, weed them out and, just maybe, find something useful at the moment. In that context, I came across "Creating a Writer's Guidebook" by Michelle Mach, published in ByLine Magazine, September 20o6. She wrote that she tracks her submissions by creating a book each year of what she writes.

Mach copies all of the work she has produced within the year. She says this gives her a look at what she has accomplished. She makes these two-sided copies and divides them into published and unpublished. Usually, the unpublished is a larger stack than the other but that is not a bad thing--it shows she is continuously writing and attempting to publish. She includes rejection letters/slips, acceptances, reviews, submission records, and goals for that particular year. She even keeps a list of books read for the year. She has these bound in volumes that she keeps handy so she can compare how she grows from year to year-hopefully.

I must have thought this was a good idea then, as I still think so today. But I haven't done it. I do keep a submissions list so I can track what I have sent out but I have no idea of what I have written in each given year. A great deal of my time in recent years has been devoted to writing novels which would be a little cumbersome to bind and keep.

This shuuld be the year I do this. I haven't done much (yet)writing of anything but a novel, novella and rewrites of old fiction so it shouldn't take too long to begin my stack to compile into a book at the end of 2009. But just maybe I should start submitting some other writing before the year gets too far gone.

Maybe this is something we could all do, right?

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Michelle Mach said...

Hi,

Thanks for mentioning my ByLine article! That process really helped me feel like I was making progress even though I didn't have a lot of publishing credits. Even if you don't pull it all together and bind it, it's amazing when you print out everything you've written. It just makes more of an impact than looking at a list of files on the computer.

Michelle

12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home