Name:
Location: San Marcos, California, United States

Southern gal living in California. Have been writing since the age of ten and am addicted to the written word. Have stacks of books-to-be-read in almost every room. I teach writing on a volunteer basis and in a paid position. I once worked with foreign customers for an aerospace company; interesting job that gave me great insight into other cultures. Family scattered all over the US so have excuses to travel.

Saturday, August 15, 2009

COMPARED TO WHO?

The book is with the publisher as I've said before. It's been edited, polished, rewritten--all of those steps we authors take in order to have our books sell. I have no illusions about having written a bestseller. Seldom do short story collections reach those heights--unless written by a novelist who has a name already, or a celebrity who has the name but may not know a noun from a verb. But what if no one buys my book?

Loyal friends will purchase a copy I know. Many of the readers of my previous books will purchase this one. Except for the readers who have expressed disappointment that this book is not another quilt story collection, I can count on them. When I speak of readers in general, I am talking about new readers--ones who come across one of the promotions I will be doing, a book review, or a spot on Amazon. I want them to read me,love me, buy the next one I write.

But who am I, in comparison to an Allison Brennan (super mystery writer), Nora Roberts (prolific best seller), or Margaret Coel (a writer of Southwest/Native American stories). Of course, my writing isn't as deep as some. It's not a comedy, nor a thriller, or a romance. The book may not appeal to every woman reader, and I doubt if many men will want to learn just what women can do if twisted crosswise. The "catchy" title might be over the top for other potential readers.

Why do I do this to myself?

When I go to the bookstore or library, do I choose the same book as you, or my friends, or the stranger standing in line with me? Of course, I don't. Each one of us choose a book for an individual reason, different from the other choices in most cases. If the same book appealed to all, what need would there be for we authors to dream up the worlds and characters we live with as they tell us their stories?

I know there will be readers for my book. I must get beyond this comparison business. Readers of short stories will love the variety of tales; women who have been done wrong by husband or lover will enjoy seeing those creatures get their just desserts, and maybe even pick up an idea or two. And some may buy a copy simply to find out what the heck that quirky title of book and story is all about.

I'll buy one of your books if you'll buy one of mine. Thank you in advance.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home