Name:
Location: San Marcos, California, United States

Southern gal living in California. Have been writing since the age of ten and am addicted to the written word. Have stacks of books-to-be-read in almost every room. I teach writing on a volunteer basis and in a paid position. I once worked with foreign customers for an aerospace company; interesting job that gave me great insight into other cultures. Family scattered all over the US so have excuses to travel.

Tuesday, June 05, 2012

GOOD LUCK CHARMS, OR SUPERSTITIONS

I've been revising and revising and revising Aunt Lutie's Blue Moon Cafe. I've also been doing carpet/flooring shopping for our HOA Clubhouse. And, of course, those classes I teach eat up a great deal of time. I do have good intentions to write at least weekly on this blog but am remiss in doing so. But, as has always been my ability, no matter how tired I am, I can find energy to read--though I do tend to fall asleep somewhere along the way.

One of the articles I've read recently gave an overview of authors--and what they consider their lucky charms, or things they must do to write. That's not what they called those things sitting on the desk or the repetition of things they do, but I see them as items/events they think helps them in their chase of the muse.

One author has a figure of the Thai goddess of Mercy in her office. There are pottery pieces, special paintings or photographs, statues, and one has a special Bugs Bunny mousepad that has lasted longer than the computers they serve.

A famous author wrote at the kitchen table for years with her files and papers in plastic dish pans. She has a study now and works at a beautiful oak table. But she still files in dish pans. Another goes to a cafe, orders a latte and works on his laptop--never moving for hours--because he's afraid if he gets up someone will steal his laptop.

Some writers keep an opbject(s) they use in their books within their sight as they create:
   A coin      Stone   Bundle of letters   Clothing of the period   A quilt.

I don't feel I am superstitious. I don't have to write in any certain place, with special objects around me. I like to say I can write anywhere, anytime--even if only with a small pad and pen. But, as I look around my office, I am surrounded with things that touch my soul: family photos, pictures of our many travels, copies of my books, a watercolor by a Texas writer friend, a favorite postcard from an English friend, an oil painting by my daddy, and a rocking chair carved by an elderly student who died last week at age 97.  And just beneath my computer screen is a polished rock with one word printed on it, a word I attempt daily to follow:  FOCUS.

I see there are things that a writer can't do without.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home