Name:
Location: San Marcos, California, United States

Southern gal living in California. Have been writing since the age of ten and am addicted to the written word. Have stacks of books-to-be-read in almost every room. I teach writing on a volunteer basis and in a paid position. I once worked with foreign customers for an aerospace company; interesting job that gave me great insight into other cultures. Family scattered all over the US so have excuses to travel.

Tuesday, April 03, 2012

POETRY SUNDAY

"Each soul must meet the morning sun, the new, sweet earth, and the Great Silence alone!
                                                       Ohiyesa (1858-1939)

It was a great gathering of twenty-two. The guest poets were wonderful though one took much too much time. I do enjoy her poetry but the other poet needed his time to wow us with his "protest" poetry. A bit "salty" for some taste, I heard later, but I am pretty open-minded and feel as co-host of these gatherings I need to understand that everyone should be free to write their "thing." As I tell my class, if someone begins to read something you are not comfortable with, you are perfectly free to walk out.

The quote above could be said for most any day around here. It's been sunny pretty early in the morning these last few days (the fog has hugged the coast). Each one of us must meet the day in our own way. I chose to open up my soul, make it ready to accept the beauty for whatever the time, or weather, or situation directs.

I miss our wraparound porch for one reason--I could go out, early morning, even during the night, and sit in silence while soaking up the pristine beauty of another day God has graced me with. At my age, it is a blessing to feel filled with the spirit of life. On my porch I would carry my coffee cup out, sit at our table, and the rising sun would soon warm my face--or back. I must see if the garden bench and small table can create the same comfort zone--a place where I have been known to write some awesome poetry already.

Poetry, sunshine, an open soul--what more could anyone ask for?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home