Name:
Location: San Marcos, California, United States

Southern gal living in California. Have been writing since the age of ten and am addicted to the written word. Have stacks of books-to-be-read in almost every room. I teach writing on a volunteer basis and in a paid position. I once worked with foreign customers for an aerospace company; interesting job that gave me great insight into other cultures. Family scattered all over the US so have excuses to travel.

Friday, January 21, 2011

The Year of ...

I'm so far behind in this new year already I don't know what Year of the....it is. That's what happens when you let holidays and cruises take over your life. I do, however, know that I was born in the year of the dragon and my husband was born in the year of the rat. And we are not supposed to be anywhere near each other, much less married, according to these Chinese predictions. Needless to say, we didn't pay any attention and have been married for over 33 years even though we did another dangerous thing and got married on Friday the thirteenth.

So much for predictions. That includes the predictions of what this year will have to offer all of us. We make our own good luck. We work hard at what our passions are in life. We writers must ignore the omens, do our research, conduct our interviews, write our short stories or poetry, edit, rewrite, and submit--that will happen if we are diligent, not because of some sign of the zodiac or some prediction of astrologers. And, though not all of you will agree, I believe God is in control of my destiny and he gives me the knowledge, the words, and the direction to be published or not.

I don't make resolutions but I do set goals. I probably have pretty much the same goals year after year. Most years I fail--not due to anyone's fault but my own. This year my goal is to have more published, to complete a poetry chapbook I have been working on for years, and to submit/publish more nonfiction than I have in the past few years. I did accomplish publishing goals in 2010; I had many poems accepted for publication, I completed my columns for The Storyteller Magazine on time and they were accepted/published, and I assited other writers in becoming published.

Assisting other writers is always on my goal list. I love teaching and leading other people who have this passion for writing. I am continuing my Word Weavers writing class and my memoir class at a retirement facility. I am going to be teaching a class for beginner writers that will be open to the public of all ages on Saturdays so all ages (and working people) may attend. I love this craft and want to share, and be shared with, what we all have to offer.

What is your goal for the year?

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home