Name:
Location: San Marcos, California, United States

Southern gal living in California. Have been writing since the age of ten and am addicted to the written word. Have stacks of books-to-be-read in almost every room. I teach writing on a volunteer basis and in a paid position. I once worked with foreign customers for an aerospace company; interesting job that gave me great insight into other cultures. Family scattered all over the US so have excuses to travel.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

BOOKS, BOOKS, AND MORE BOOKS

"I cannot live without books." (Thomas Jefferson)

Writers should read a lot of books in order to understand how it's done. That's what I've always read and been told. So I follow the rules: I read, and read, and read. And I have a collection of books to prove I love it.

I'm reading "Live to Tell" by Lisa Gardner and it is creeping me out. It's also an unusual way of writing, one instructors tell us we are not to do unless we are very experienced: the author writes the tale in two other character's voices every other chapter. I haven't decided yet whether it adds or distracts from the telling of the story.

"7th Heaven" by James Patterson is waiting for me to read next. I love this author and am a little disappointed that he is now writing with partners. It reminds me of the painter who has other artists lined up, each one doing a small part of the paintings and then he comes along and signs his name.

I have kept some old favorites, too:

"Blue Highways" by William Least Heat-Moon.
"Bella Tuscany" by Frances Mayes.
"At the Owl Woman Saloon" by Tess Gallagher.

I love mysteries and found Carl Hiassen through exchanging books with a friend. He writes these humorous mysteries set in Florida. Then I found his books written for younger readers (I dare not say what age because kids read way beyond their years today --sort of like I did when young). "Scat," "Hoot", and "Flesh" are these books.

Two of my all time "women" books are: "Sisters of the Earth" edited by Lorraine Anderson and "Secrets of the Zona Rosa" by Rosemary Danniell.

"Grace" by Alexandra Stoddard has been beside me since first published.

And then there are a hundred or so books related to creative writing, poetry books, inspirational books, cookbooks--and all those stacks plus shelves of fiction.

Read everyone. Read in the genre you want to write in, and many in different areas too. Then write your heart out with all the ideas you'll get from all that reading.

Prompt: Write about a ring that was/is special to you.

1 Comments:

Blogger John Wolf said...

If you think Lisa creeps you out, wait til you read 7th Heaven. I couldn't get through the first few chapters. I was disgusted by the premise and the modus operandi. Yes, Patterson is a rubber stamp author now and it's not becoming.

8:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home