Name:
Location: San Marcos, California, United States

Southern gal living in California. Have been writing since the age of ten and am addicted to the written word. Have stacks of books-to-be-read in almost every room. I teach writing on a volunteer basis and in a paid position. I once worked with foreign customers for an aerospace company; interesting job that gave me great insight into other cultures. Family scattered all over the US so have excuses to travel.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

WHAT MUSIC DO YOU ENJOY?

George Jones was a disk jockey on a radio station in Bay City, Texas, when I was still in grade school. A struggling country western singer appearing at little-known honky tonks, he would become a star within five years. Since Mama loved country-western music, it was my first love. On second thought, I think I remember the old hymns in the local Baptist church as the first music I sang along with.

When I was a teenager, singers like Chubby Checker (The Twist was all the rage at dances), Fats Domino, and Elvis were the singers I followed. When Elvis appeared on television the first time, Daddy walked over and turned him off! Mama soothed my ruffled feathers by purchasing his latest album and allowed me to (almost) wear our her stereo. And my friends were so amazed when she hummed along with Fats Domino and turned up the volume on Paul Anka. During this period I also played in the high school band which introduced me to Sousa marches (which still stir me) and classical music (which I use to lower stress when it creeps in).

I enjoyed the Beatles, even some of the songs by the Rolling Stones. I was never into my kid's music in the '70's--who can even remember who they were listening to? I was working six days a week to support us after my divorce, so maybe I never had time to pay any attention to what they enjoyed.

When Ray and I married, we danced to late 1970's music and sought out places that were bringing back the Big Band era music. He was astounded that I could sing the words to all those tunes, some of which were popular years before I was born (Mama's taste again). He is also of German ancestry so I was introduced to Haufbrau's with live music and exuberant dancing.

Today, I simply consider myself a music lover. We have a huge music collection of music--all kinds of music. Our home is filled with music at all hours; night only is TV time. Mexican, Italian, Country Music, German, Big Band, 1950-60-70-80 (forget the '90's and today for the most part), Patriotic, Cajun and, for me only,jazz.

A favorite music? Much too difficult to decide.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home