Name:
Location: San Marcos, California, United States

Southern gal living in California. Have been writing since the age of ten and am addicted to the written word. Have stacks of books-to-be-read in almost every room. I teach writing on a volunteer basis and in a paid position. I once worked with foreign customers for an aerospace company; interesting job that gave me great insight into other cultures. Family scattered all over the US so have excuses to travel.

Saturday, October 16, 2010

BANGLES & BEADS: JUNK JEWELRY

Diamonds are a girl's best friend, or so they've said in song and movies. I don't happen to agree. Not that I don't own some of the authentic "bling" but it's not me. I think it looks great on the ears, necks and fingers of most other women but I'm just a country girl with the same kind of taste. My favorite jewelry is turquoise set in silver and---junk jewelry.

No, I don't make my own. But I do own some thanks to my neighbor's daughter who made me lovely necklaces with earrings to match as a gift. I assist her mom who lives across the street from me (daughter is in Seattle)when she is feeling poorly, needs to be driven to a doctor's appointment, or just needs a friend to talk to. I don't have the patience to string beads and crystals on thread and thin wire, but I so appreciate what the creators do.

I don't know in which country this craze for cheap bangles and beads surfaced. It might have been all those years ago in Costa Rica when hubby purchased the long necklace of fake pearls, pink stones, and purple crystals so beautifully strung together they were hard for him to resist. Or it could have been the hematite from Turkey, Alaska or Mexico. One of my favorite such pieces has an elephant dangling from it; we were in Jamaica and I turned down the offer of purchase because the bus was loading. When the bus driver failed to appear on time, hubby bounded off the bus, ran around the corner, and made the four dollar purchase.

Italy offered Murano glass, cameo and enameled harlequin's in all styles of jewelry. Hong Kong dressed my bosom in jade rock of several shades of green. Panama allowed me to don brown seeds, sparkly blue and green crystals, and wooden jewelry, made by bare-breasted women and sold by their husbands.

Recently, I'm in to the cheap chunks of plastic from China that is all the rage these days. I'm purchasing all colors of the rainbow. It's fun jewelry. It's funky. It keeps me young and enthusiastic.

It's REALLY junk jewelry.

Prompt: Quote: "I cannot live without books." (Thomas Jefferson)

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home