Name:
Location: San Marcos, California, United States

Southern gal living in California. Have been writing since the age of ten and am addicted to the written word. Have stacks of books-to-be-read in almost every room. I teach writing on a volunteer basis and in a paid position. I once worked with foreign customers for an aerospace company; interesting job that gave me great insight into other cultures. Family scattered all over the US so have excuses to travel.

Saturday, August 29, 2009

S ANDRA CISNEROS

From time to time, I enjoy recommending author's I have enjoyed. My creative writing students are encouraged to read not only in the genre they write in but in all genres. Sandra Cisneros is a writer I recommend for her "way with words," for the freedom of her woman's voice, and for the strong message she offers all readers.

One of her first books I read was "The House on Mango Street" which is a series of vignettes about a young girl growing up in the Latino section of Chicago. It is a deeply moving story filled with the power and rage of growing up. As with most really good authors, Sandra Cisneros leaves you with a sense this is her life story in the guise of fiction.

"Women Hollering Creek" is another great book. Some of her most powerful work, however, are the essays she has writen over the years. Though I can't remember the title of this particular essay, I recall she was always seeking her father's approval which she wrote about in this piece. It was only when he was very ill and she read him an essay she had written about his not being able to accept her successes in the publishing world, that he truly saw her for what she was--his special daughter, the writer.

Recenly, I purchased a book on writing at "The Friends of the Library" and found her article on letter writing included. I was blown away by the beauty of the art of letter writing she laid out for high school students. I'm going to quote a few of her thoughts here--with permission, Ms. Cisneros.

"People don't realize you can start a letter anywhere...write whatever comes into your head." She uses it as a "way of meditation, of listening inside my heart to how I'm being affected by the outside world." She also says you can use your letters as a gateway to the creative world for either fiction or nonfiction.

Pick up something by Sandra Cisneros. I think you will be intrigued by the way she "speaks" the written word.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home