Name:
Location: San Marcos, California, United States

Southern gal living in California. Have been writing since the age of ten and am addicted to the written word. Have stacks of books-to-be-read in almost every room. I teach writing on a volunteer basis and in a paid position. I once worked with foreign customers for an aerospace company; interesting job that gave me great insight into other cultures. Family scattered all over the US so have excuses to travel.

Friday, April 24, 2009

TITLES THAT STAY WITH US

Doing research recently for a magazine article I came across some information about titles. Titles are the first thing that grabs a reader--or editor/publisher. They also help writers stay focused on their work; a working title may be the only thing that keeps you on track at the beginning. Make it a title that keeps you interested in writing page after page.

I have been a collector of titles for years. Some catchy phrase, line in a poem, or word in a conversatin may join my list. My list isn't catagorized--essay, article, mainstream, romance, western, inspirtional--but it's usually not hard to figure out which ones would fit best to a certain genre/story. Sometimes even the titles will set your muse off on a story line.

On my bookshelf are several titles that might grab a reader's attention. I've offered the genre after each grouping.

McKinnon's Bride, The Rancher Needs a Wife, or Unexpected Complication (Romance)

Mardi Gras Madness, Burn Out, Nothing But Trouble (Mystery)

The Piano Man, Plain Truth, Dairy Queen Days (Mainstream)

Bouquets of Hope, Keep it Simple, A Cup of Comfort (Inspiratiional)

Write Brain, Finding Your Voice, Make a Scene (Creative Writing)

There are famous titles we will never forget: Gone With the Wind, The Wizard of Oz,
Cat on at Hot Tin Roof, The Shining, etc. The one title I am so glad didn't make the final cut is a book by Tennessee Williams. He titled it "Poker Night." That book became "A Streetcar Named Desire." I can't imagine even removing Poker Night from the shelf to read the back cover.

What do you want your title on a bookstore shelf to convey?

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home