Name:
Location: San Marcos, California, United States

Southern gal living in California. Have been writing since the age of ten and am addicted to the written word. Have stacks of books-to-be-read in almost every room. I teach writing on a volunteer basis and in a paid position. I once worked with foreign customers for an aerospace company; interesting job that gave me great insight into other cultures. Family scattered all over the US so have excuses to travel.

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

THOUGHTS FOR THE NEW YEAR

Today I received one of those E-cards we often find in our online mailbox. I always know that when Normie sends me a card, it will be something soothing, loving or inspirational. She didn't disappoint me with this one. It offered me a long list of tips on what I can do to make a new year the best for both me and others around me.

"Find adventure in each day..." Isn't that a great nudge? Instead of looking at what can go wrong, the drudgery of what tasks I have for that particular day, or quaking about something that I am scheduled to do, I need to look on the positive side. What wonderful adventure might I have today? Those tasks I must do might give me some "thinking" time for ideas, or show how to work myself out of that corner I've put my characters in. I need to meet every challenge with a smile and a pep-talk about doing my best, what I am capable of doing, and seek a unique outcome.

"Once a day look in the mirror and laugh with amazement. . ." Boy, I'm alive and on my feet and the bathroom just got cleaned and I've almost completed those revisions on a book that no one thought I could write, least of all myself. Isn't it wonderful to be filled with laughter, fulfillment, contentment, and happiness--life is not always filled with those rose bouquets but it ain't stink weed either.

"Never give up on yourself . . ." I love this one. We writers often hit the wall and want to throw in the towel. We've received another rejection letter, or the manuscript that agent requested has come back almost as quickly as it was sent out. We think we'll never be able to have a book published, or that particular one. We want to give up. But what this tip for a new year is telling us is we can't do it! We have everything going for us if we will just look for it, key those words in, rework that paragraph, accept that speaking engagement, join that critique group--we go on and on because we can't not write!

So my main request for all of you, writers, mothers, wives, friends, sons, husbands, whoever you are--

NEVER GIVE UP ON YOURSELF!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home