Name:
Location: San Marcos, California, United States

Southern gal living in California. Have been writing since the age of ten and am addicted to the written word. Have stacks of books-to-be-read in almost every room. I teach writing on a volunteer basis and in a paid position. I once worked with foreign customers for an aerospace company; interesting job that gave me great insight into other cultures. Family scattered all over the US so have excuses to travel.

Friday, December 26, 2008

DON'T PACK UP CHRISTMAS!

It's the day after Christmas. I'm not hitting the after-season marathon of shopping as I don't need (want, maybe) more decorations, lights, electronics, clothes or cards. After New Year's Day I'll get out the empty boxes from the workshop/shed and fill them with colorful cherished momentos. And try to figure out where to put the new LED-crystal lighted raindeer my dear hubby just had to have. But there are some things I can't put too far away too soon.

I'll be clipping ideas out of the holiday magazines and adding them to the file along with my notes for stories, articles or fillers for the holiday season. I always have my large CD collection of holiday music within reach. I'll save certain cards that seem to tell me a story and set them aside. And maybe my favorite old-fashioned Santa will remain on top of my bookcase. Why, after all the rush, and then let down, would I not move on with thoughts of Valentine's Day or Easter?

I plan to keep these items handy because six short months from now it will be Christmas in June. Editors will be waiting for writers to submit a holiday piece that grabs their attention; some tip or essay or short story about this special holiday is waiting to be submitted by you. As writers, we ofte need props of some kind to set us on the writing path.

Choose something that will put you in the Christmas mood (music, picture, clippings, or a combination of all). Even when the temperature has risen into the 90's outside, the wonder of the season will leap from keyboard to screen. Christmas is in July for writers. . .and editors.

HAPPY WRITING.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home