Name:
Location: San Marcos, California, United States

Southern gal living in California. Have been writing since the age of ten and am addicted to the written word. Have stacks of books-to-be-read in almost every room. I teach writing on a volunteer basis and in a paid position. I once worked with foreign customers for an aerospace company; interesting job that gave me great insight into other cultures. Family scattered all over the US so have excuses to travel.

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

A STOLEN MOMENT IN TIME

"In the midst of movement and chaos, keep stillness inside of you."
-Deepak Chopra

This quote struck me as a good one to describe what writers, during this time of the year, should seek for ourselves. In general, this is the most stressful time of the year for many people--busy rushing around planning family gatherings, cooking and baking in mass amounts, shopping or, if alone for whatever reason, feeling the pain of isolation. The season offers many challenges to writers.

How do we stay in touch with our creative selves "in the midst of movement and chaos?"

The best way for me to stay centered, is to set aside time each day for what I enjoy. I attempt to find an hour daily to engage in some aspect of this writing craft I seem to have to pursue. No matter what preparations are needed, we owe ourselves the pleasure of writing, and I aim to be selfish enough to make the time. I may use the time to research a new idea for an article, or educate myself about a new location for setting. An hour per day allows me a good chunk of revision time on a completed book or story. That hour might be used to give a last read to an article, write the cover letter, and send it out--either snail or e-mail.

Maybe you honestly can't find an hour per day. I am sure you can grab snippets of time to make notes for your next project while waiting for an appointment,or someone. Between batches of cookies, read another chapter in that book you chose because it resembles what you would like to write. Instead of watching TV until bedtime, use some of that time fo sit down at the computer and complete a draft of your next essay, or book chapter. You can even write a character sketch in your head while driving to the mall. Hey, it's better than that cellphone stuck to your ear for distraction, isn't it?

Today I spent my hour working on the outline for the sequence of articles for my Soul Sisters Newsletter. Tomorrow, I'll set up the masthead, clip in the first graphic, and maybe even get an article or two typed. With these stolen hours, I will have the newsletter ready to be sent out the first week in January.

Promise yourself that no matter what is going on around you, you'll give yourself a gift: Indulge in your love of writing. I'm betting you won't feel half as exhausted by all the "movement and chaos" around you when you let the "stillness" translate into creative accomplishments.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home