Name:
Location: San Marcos, California, United States

Southern gal living in California. Have been writing since the age of ten and am addicted to the written word. Have stacks of books-to-be-read in almost every room. I teach writing on a volunteer basis and in a paid position. I once worked with foreign customers for an aerospace company; interesting job that gave me great insight into other cultures. Family scattered all over the US so have excuses to travel.

Monday, November 17, 2008

SHARING KNOW-HOW WITH EACH OTHER

In spite of the laptop problems (still can't print from my wireless laptop when on the Internet or in e-mail status), I have had a good day. I completed all the lesson plans for the rest of the week--two classes this week to teach--and the first section of a cookbook I am creating. It is to share with the readers of "Aunt Lutie's Blue Moon Cafe," my novel which may never be published but is a hit with my classes. The cookbook is comprised of dishes found in the book and will be a fun gift for my students at Christmas.

Today, I also received my monthly exchange of info with a group of nine other writers scattered all over the US. We are a close-knit group even though most of us have never met and seldom speak by phone. We keep in touch with emails and snail-mail; we critique each others work, and share what we learn in the writing and publishing biz. This exchange is like a shot in the arm, a shove to write more and better, and offers a feeling of being in touch with people who understand what we are attempting to do in our craft. Great letters, gals!

I used the word "share." We do share our knowledge and our work. I also do this in my classes each week. Have you heard the old saying, "Those who can do. Those who can't, teach." Sometimes, although I have been published often, I feel like it certainly pertains to insturctors. I have found that I allow teaching and life to get in the way of my personal writing. I like to say I am busy helping others learn to write but is that merely an excuse? Procrastination on my part? Laziness?

It's not the money. I don't get paid for one of these teaching assignments and the other is pay for a few hours per month. But when several of my elderly students recently were published for the first time, I celebrated with them. What a pay-off for me!

Many writers are fortunate to be able to attend writing conferences; here they can learn and share. Others, well-known authors mostly, teach/lecture at these events. I've never attended a prestigious conference--only smaller, more intimate ones, less expensive, because I need my budgeted writing money to be spent wisely--like maybe on that external hard drive I should purchase. Having said this, I have taught writing workshops and, as with my classes, feel a certain gratitude to be able to share what I have learned over the years spent writing and publishing.

If you chose to teach or lead workshops in order to share your knowledge with other writers, you must create an atmosphere, and sustain it, in which work flourishes. You will find all sorts of personalities attending or reading your expertise, including the know-it-all-already, saboteurs, or know-more-than-you-ever-will who threaten to take over. You must keep your sharing on-track, keep a friendly and casual atmosphere while certain rules are followed. Only then can the ones who really want to learn more be able to do so.

If you are thinking of sharing your knowledge, do it with a willingingness that will convey the trustworthiness of what you have to offer.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home