Name:
Location: San Marcos, California, United States

Southern gal living in California. Have been writing since the age of ten and am addicted to the written word. Have stacks of books-to-be-read in almost every room. I teach writing on a volunteer basis and in a paid position. I once worked with foreign customers for an aerospace company; interesting job that gave me great insight into other cultures. Family scattered all over the US so have excuses to travel.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

FRIENDSHIP CAKE

As everyone knows, I am an avid reader. That doesn't mean that I read off the best sellers list in a timely manner. For instance, I have just completed a book by Lynne Hinton written in 2000; a book that I found to be entertaining, touching, and very true to life.

Five members of Hope Springs Community Church (North Carolina) gather together to create a cookbook. In the process of collecting recipes, they face issues of doubts, sex between unmarried couples, the pastor's quest for a closer walk with God, and the controversy of a white/African American relationship that produces a child. Throw in a death, a tattered marriage made whole, and all the gossip in a small town, makes for an admirable job of facing complex and diverse characters. Lynne Hinton offers a real tale about friendship, and issues that sometimes divide churches, written in a caring and forthwright manner.

I will look for more of her books; she's written many of them and I want to know more about her characters in Hope Springs.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home