Name:
Location: San Marcos, California, United States

Southern gal living in California. Have been writing since the age of ten and am addicted to the written word. Have stacks of books-to-be-read in almost every room. I teach writing on a volunteer basis and in a paid position. I once worked with foreign customers for an aerospace company; interesting job that gave me great insight into other cultures. Family scattered all over the US so have excuses to travel.

Thursday, June 09, 2011

PURPLE MAJESTIES

I didn't have any idea what I would write about today but my snail-mail poetry group's return of last session's poem gave me an idea...the subject was purple. Sitting here at the keyboard I realize I am wearing a purple tee (with the words California Dreamin') and next to my note pad rests a purple ink pen. With my first published book, "The Quilt Maker," I began autographing with purple ink. Though I don't want to admit to the "age" thing, for as long as I live I will wear purple.

I also tie the color into royalty and Jesus Christ. And I believe that as a child of God, who is my King, I am allowed to wear purple. Though a commoner in the sight of the world, I am precious to Him.

So...I love purple clothes, purple shoes. Purple (they're not really red) onions in salad. Purple (I think they are more burgandy) wines. Purple orchids, purple-leafed canna lilies, and my favorite purple irisis blooming in my garden in early spring.

Here's a short poem--not the one I shared with my critique group--just a little thing I wrote in my journal.

When I think of my love
for the color purple
and list all my favorites--
purple irisis, purple sweater,
purple shoes, purple ink,
and that favorite wine,
I realize that none
of these compare compare
with my favorite purple.
The one that touches my heart
fiercely grips at my soul is
that Purple Heart on the
breast of a soldier
young and old.
(Barbara Deming (c)2011)

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Diana said...

Oh, very nice! I love purple, too. As a kid I always said "red" or "blue." I was never really sure which I liked better. My grandmother's name was Violet and her favorite color was purple, and long after she'd died, I suddenly realized it was my favorite color too--not so much a compromise between red and blue, as a wonderful mixture of them.

In the Bible, so many things are scarlet or blue. They were hard colors to obtain and very expensive. And purple, of course, is the combination of the two!

They always show the Virgin Mary in blue, and I imagine with the cost of blue dye in those days, she probably never owned anything blue in her life.

6:19 AM  
Blogger Barb said...

You are so insightful, Diana. I never thought about it (blue) being an expensive color--probably in Mary's day, any color other than the natural color of the cotton or whatever fabric was more expensive than Joseph could afford.
We all know purple was the color of royalty and no others could wear it.

Thanks for reading the blog and I'm sorry I haven't been keeping up well for some time.

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home