Name:
Location: San Marcos, California, United States

Southern gal living in California. Have been writing since the age of ten and am addicted to the written word. Have stacks of books-to-be-read in almost every room. I teach writing on a volunteer basis and in a paid position. I once worked with foreign customers for an aerospace company; interesting job that gave me great insight into other cultures. Family scattered all over the US so have excuses to travel.

Thursday, November 19, 2009

WHEN LIFE INTERFERS

We are our own worse enemies when it comes to selecting the priorities of our lives. My first love is writing--and reading. Do I devote a great deal of my life to these? No. At least, not at the present time. I have left life ovetake that love.

I would like to blame this on my parents who instilled in me a work ethic that has spilled over into my volunteering responsibilities. I was taught that you give the job you have one hundred percent. Therefore, I can't say no to extra projects and find myself spending more and more time on them than on my writing. I am feeling overwhelmed again and know this is not good for me healthwise. But I have an out in March--gosh, that is still three plus months away, isn't it?--so I attempt to plug on.

And then I run up against nasty events I don't want to be a part of and it dwells so much on my mind, I can't concentrate on my writing. And I miss those days on the computer, the walks with my notebook or laptop to the pond where I test new ideas, and I am getting grumpy over the whole thing.

This is a short lecture from me to you writers--don't get involved in outside things. Write, be with your family, write, enjoy that hobby, write, take a walk with your loved one, and NEVER VOLUNTEER FOR ANYTHING.

Hubby Ray said he learned that lesson in World War II--I was too young to learn it then, and haven't managed to follow his lead--yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home