Name:
Location: San Marcos, California, United States

Southern gal living in California. Have been writing since the age of ten and am addicted to the written word. Have stacks of books-to-be-read in almost every room. I teach writing on a volunteer basis and in a paid position. I once worked with foreign customers for an aerospace company; interesting job that gave me great insight into other cultures. Family scattered all over the US so have excuses to travel.

Saturday, November 07, 2009

MY, HOW TIME FLIES

I look at this blog and can't believe how long it has been since I wrote here. I have no excuse except that life and writing responsibilities have eaten up the days and weeks. Ray's healing from surgery has taken more time, and medication, than we thought. I am so happy to announce the surgery was a success, he can see better without glasses than he could with them before (at least in his left eye; the other one needs new glasses and is driving him nuts!), and we are very impressed with the surgeon who performed (with God's direction) this miracle.

I did find time to send out a few contest entries and won a third place in one, had a poem accepted for an annual anthology out of San Diego, and have managed to complete another quilt story for the collection of inspirational stories I am slowly building.

Today I attended the NCAP Book Exposition at Oceanside Library. There were not only author speakers, but college instructors, translators, publishers, agents, and printing company reps. It was an outstanding day of learning and sharing and networking. I also sold five books which certainly helped my ego and boosted my conficence about this book.

I still have to work on a list to mail my letters to offering a lecture or workshop in exchange for the right to sell books. The letters are ready and dated so I must get busy. I also have Press Releases to get out. This publicity/promotion is a lot of work.

Never think word-of-mouth doesn't go a long way. My daughter lives in Florida and went into a Books-a-Million Bookstore to "see if your book was on the shelf", knowing it wouldn't be. She talked up the book so much, the store buyer ordered ten to put on the shelves. That's the way to go, gal.

Tomorrow is Sunday--a day I can leisurely read the Sunday morning paper. Then I have to put away the book signing "stuff" until the next one appears. I'm trying to keep us on a low-carb regime and have found preparation takes quite a lot of time; we blew it today because of my long commitment but tomorrow we will be back on track.
I need to find some time to do that promotion work--after I have a long walk.

Monday is free. Tuesday Ray does a presentation for Veteran's Day ceremony at the Escondido Sr. Center; then I must come home and back a birthday cake for Vici, my neighbor who will turn 92. Wednesday is Veteran's Day ceremony at the wall where Ray's name appears, then home for her birthday celebration at 3. Hope she likes strawberry cake.

I think the rest of the week is free, so maybe I will have time to really write something fun.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home