Name:
Location: San Marcos, California, United States

Southern gal living in California. Have been writing since the age of ten and am addicted to the written word. Have stacks of books-to-be-read in almost every room. I teach writing on a volunteer basis and in a paid position. I once worked with foreign customers for an aerospace company; interesting job that gave me great insight into other cultures. Family scattered all over the US so have excuses to travel.

Sunday, September 27, 2009

NEW/OLD WORDS

I thought every once in awhile I would offer some of what I "collect" in my writer's journals. In this case, I'm sharing some "new/old" words I made notes of.

Voile: a thin, sheer fabric
What an old-fashioned word; something I would think would only be used in Victorian novels. Or maybe a young girl only purchases her clothes from vintage shops and buys a dress made of voile for a special date.

Mead: A drink made of honey and water==fermented, I think.
Old England? Vikings? I can't remember what era this was but it might make a good drink when I have a serious sinus attack.

Burished: polished
I see old statues or jewelry that has been burished or polished to a high sheen.

Splayed: spread out
I know this is another of those old-fashioned words we seldom see use--except maybe in nature books or tales of the sea. What about a romance--Her hair was splayed out around her as she waited for him atop the satin sheets. Doesn't sound very romantic, does it?

Desecrated: treated inappropriately somethng considered holy
I think I might do a lot of this every time I use the King's English.

Have any of these collections of words?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home