Name:
Location: San Marcos, California, United States

Southern gal living in California. Have been writing since the age of ten and am addicted to the written word. Have stacks of books-to-be-read in almost every room. I teach writing on a volunteer basis and in a paid position. I once worked with foreign customers for an aerospace company; interesting job that gave me great insight into other cultures. Family scattered all over the US so have excuses to travel.

Saturday, January 24, 2009

THOU SHALT WRITE MORE

I've had family visiting this week. It has played havoc with the goals I set for myself to write more this year. I did manage, however, to edit quite a few pages of my novella, and add some needed scenes to the same manuscript. But between playing tour guide, cooking and entertaining, I found no more time to be productive.

Becoming more organized would certainly assist me in finding time to write now that my family is but a happy memory of a good visit. I know I need to address the issues that keep me away from my writing at other times, set some definite priorities, and make 2009 the year-of-the-writer at my house.

My mind tends to wander when I set aside time at the keyboard. There are so many things I want to check into on the Internet, not just emails but also research--too often for a project I have not begun, and may never start. I have far too many projects that need tweaking or editing or those added scenes and, though I always say I will get another book or two published in any given year, I have failed to do so these past two years. It is time for me to sit butt in chair and work on those manuscripts that have a chance to appear before readers. I must learn to forget the bathrooms that need cleaning, the flowers that need deadheading, and the menu for dinner.

I need to focus on my writing life.

Focus. I know I teach classes on Wednesday and Friday. Time must be spent on lesson plans and flyers for these classes; handouts need to be printed off. But the other weekdays (and a few hours on each day of the weekend) can be organized into writing time, research, mailings, supply purchases, copying, filing--still leaving time for the role of wife, housewife, gardener, church volunteer and (whenever possible) traveler. When I see this in print, I remember what mama often said is so true: "There's not enough hours in a day."

I know this can be done. I've done it in the past, actually did a better job of it when I had a full-time job. I'm not getting any younger and have only an alloted number of years left to get the word out. I need to make this the year I change old habits and write--for my own self, my own joy, and maybe for others to read.

Join me in this quest--let's allow ourselves time to write more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home