Name:
Location: San Marcos, California, United States

Southern gal living in California. Have been writing since the age of ten and am addicted to the written word. Have stacks of books-to-be-read in almost every room. I teach writing on a volunteer basis and in a paid position. I once worked with foreign customers for an aerospace company; interesting job that gave me great insight into other cultures. Family scattered all over the US so have excuses to travel.

Monday, January 05, 2009

POETRY JAMMIN' AGAIN

Yesterday, Sunday, found me once again joining poets from all over North San Diego County. I have been absent for many months due to the move, life, etc. but one of my resolutions included meeting with this group each first Sunday of the month as I've done for several years. I was greeted by the leaders like a long-lost friend and, as other familiar poets arrived, I felt like I had come home.

I've discussed writing poetry here before. But the importance of doing this for any and all writers was brought home yesterday. Writing poetry, good, bad, shared or not, is comforting; doing so allows us to pour our those feelings/thoughts/ideas without deadlines, perfectionism rearing its ugly head, or pressures regarding publication. I am reminded of how many times I have found myself weary from hours at the computer (I tend to NOT take breaks because my alloted time at the computer is haphazard to say the least and I want to use every moment of it) and decide to stop, get a drink of something cool (or hot if weather warrants), and jot down a few lines of poetry.

Doing so relieves some of the tension or stress of creation. Sometimes I only write those few lines. Other times I am caught up in the moment and continue to complete the first draft of a longer poem. Having taken this break and writen my poetry, I can once again hit the computer at a different pace, refreshed and ready to continue with my major task.

Participating in these poetry readings also prepares us to speak/read our published work in front of an audience. I will have to admit that poets are great audiences. They give you more than you can expect from every group you speak/read before. They acknowledge you as a writer. They applaude your work. They laugh at the right parts. And they always support each other.

I also make notes at these readings. Listen closely to the poet's work. Many times there are glimpses of storylines in their poetry, or ideas for an article. One man writes about places of history and/or beauty in our county. He would make a wonderful travel writer but since he is basically a poet, I can certainly make note of the spots he's touched on that would be of interest to travel magazines.

Write poetry. Find a group that has guest speakers and offers Open Mike/readings. If you don't want to share your own poetry at the beginning of your attendance, listen closely to the others. Watch and critique how they handle these readings. Practice at home. Get on that stage. Your poetry will be accepted by true poets at heart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home