Name:
Location: San Marcos, California, United States

Southern gal living in California. Have been writing since the age of ten and am addicted to the written word. Have stacks of books-to-be-read in almost every room. I teach writing on a volunteer basis and in a paid position. I once worked with foreign customers for an aerospace company; interesting job that gave me great insight into other cultures. Family scattered all over the US so have excuses to travel.

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

MAKE AND KEEP WRITER FRIENDS

The greatest asset to my writing pursuits/successes is writer friends. When I began to write seriously for publication over twenty years ago, I lived in a small mountain town. There were no writing groups and, at that time, my self-confidence didn't include the nerve to begin one on my own. It was a rather lonely writing life, although I did manage to write and market well enough that first year to sell and see published, fifteen articles.

Living in North San Diego County has been good for me. I signed up for a creative writing class when I first moved here because I had started a downward slide in my output and enthusiasm for writing. I had to write to an assignment each week, share that writing and seek comments. It was there that I made four writer friends--three are still in my life (the fourth opted out of the writing foursome). Linda S. is now working, not writing too much, but remains my favorite copywriter. Elva moved to Hawaii, is still writing (and dancing the hula), and we share the same publisher for books. Eileen belongs to Romance Writers of America and often invites me to hear authors in that genre offer workshops that, along with the writing tips, offer support for their fellow writers. Through these many years, these writer friends have helped me immensely--as I hope I have been able to do for them. First friendships are the greatest.

Several years ago I joined a group of writers and we became charter members of an expanded group (by invitation only). We share our work, newfound publishers, writing and life experiences, and any other writing information we run across. We often critique each others work, in groups and as individuals, via email and/or snail mail. We support each other through our walk in the writing life, as well as our personal worlds. This "society", with Tracy as leader, has writers I am very proud to call friends. I love you all, gals.

Patricia is a good old Texas gal--we Texans have to stick together in many things, including writing. She is a serious writer, animal lover, environment protector, innovative business woman, and answerer of my many questions regarding computers and the electronic world. She was the designer of my very first (and so far, only) website. Due to illness and other business obligations. she has had to cease hosting my site but has graciously recommended another expert designer/host. She will always be the loveliest flower in my favorite bouquet; so it sounds corny but she and I also share a love for everything "nature." Thanks for your friendship, Patricia.

Central Florida is home to my daughter, grandchildren and writer friend, Sharlott. I met her through an online magazine we both once wrote for. She is the author of the most beautiful inspirational poetry, and outstanding on-the-mark slice-of-life pieces published by her local newspaper. She is a writer friend who shares her love for writing, boosts me up with her positive attitude, comments on my writing efforts, and supports the craft we both love. Sharlott, thanks for being there for me.

Gaye Walton, formerly of Arizona, now residing in my favorite Western state, New Mexico, is author of more books (mostly romances set in the Southwest showing the depths of human nature) than I can count, and the host/originator/keeper of the gate) of a Yahoo.com group of writers. Gaye, you and all the ladies there make me strive to write better. You are a passionate group about your writing--and compassionate with each other. I have learned so much from you all. You all have a place in my heart.

I am blessed by these friends.

People who don't write have a difficult time understanding us. We talk about our craft, and our stories. We often make notes in a restaurant, lost to the talk at our table, engrossed by the conversation at another. Or maybe we are scribbling down the ideas our tablemates give us while telling the saga of an event in their life. We carry a laptop on our travels, or while visiting relatives--and seek a hiding place to work on our latest project when we can. The non-writers around us shake their heads. The writers among us nod.

We need to make, and keep, those writer friends, to reach out to them, and to cultivate those lasting friendships with those who understand us. Count yourself lucky if you already have many of those writer friends in your life.

2 Comments:

Blogger Diana said...

This is so true, Barb! Without writer friends we are lost. We need some isolation in order to write, but too much isolation robs us of the conduits we need to keep the ideas flowing.

1:16 PM  
Blogger Barb said...

You and I know this to be so true. No one understands the other like writers. Thanks for your comments.

10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home