Name:
Location: San Marcos, California, United States

Southern gal living in California. Have been writing since the age of ten and am addicted to the written word. Have stacks of books-to-be-read in almost every room. I teach writing on a volunteer basis and in a paid position. I once worked with foreign customers for an aerospace company; interesting job that gave me great insight into other cultures. Family scattered all over the US so have excuses to travel.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

FOUND STORY-CONTINUED

I feel in love that night. Not with a man, don't think I will ever fall for that line again. No, I found my cold heart, left that way after the messy dissolution of my five-year marriage, thawed out, warmed up, by Hazel and Lincoln. They were caring, genuine, the real thing, folks like my daddy had been. With him and grandpa gone maybe these people were a substitute. Whew, that came from nowhere. I guess I could finally admit I might need someone in my life--other than a mother who once again is trying to set me up with the son of some wealthy cronie of her family. Her matchmaking was another emotional disaster waiting to happen.

And those chicken and dumplings were the best I had ever tasted.

"What do you do, honey? To keep yourself up"

I somehow figured out Hazel was concerned about how I was going to pay the electric bill and such. "I have some money from the divorce and . . ."

Lincoln quickly interrupted, "Thought you shucked off the past."

"Well, I have. . ."

He shut me off. "Takin' money from an ex ain't exactly gettin' rid of him, is it?"

"Now, Lincoln, you sound like a wounded bull. What's wrong with a woman havin' a little nest egg?"

I blurted out. "Especially if that husband was having a hot affair with his office manager."

Hazel slapped Lincoln's arm. "See there, Lincoln, there's your reason."

The two carried on a conversation as if I wasn't there.

"She shouldn't have anything to do with that old boy, Hazel, that's all I'm sayin'."

"I don't." My voice rose, then fell as i went on to explain. "We were divorced three years ago; yes, I did receive a nice settlement--some money from him, half the sale of the house, other things. That came in handy when I found out Grandpa hadn't paid the taxes for the past five years, owed a hefty bill at the feed store, as well at the grocers. But I also had a job--something I can do here."

The couple looked stunned. "We didn't know about Jimmy."

"You know how he was," I reminded them. "Grandpa had too much pride for his own good."

Hazel was disturbed. "He could have lost the farm."

I agreed. "And he never let me, or my mother, know that he needed help."

Lincoln drew himself up straight in the chair. "A man doesn't want folks to know he's havin' troubles."

"False pride." Hazel shook her head, then smiled at me. "Well, that's all in the past now. You're here. Now we have to find you the right husband so you's can stay."

I was the one left with my mouth hanging open.
***

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home