Name:
Location: San Marcos, California, United States

Southern gal living in California. Have been writing since the age of ten and am addicted to the written word. Have stacks of books-to-be-read in almost every room. I teach writing on a volunteer basis and in a paid position. I once worked with foreign customers for an aerospace company; interesting job that gave me great insight into other cultures. Family scattered all over the US so have excuses to travel.

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

OUR PLEASURES

Wouldn't it be nice to set aside a day for our own pleasure? Whether that means a day to write, a day to read, or a day to do nothing, there should be a time for us to do only what we want to do.

I find that those days have become fewer and I sorely miss them. Once upon a time I often set "a day for me" aside; I got up in the morning to head off in a direction I would have thoughtfully planned in advance. Or, every now and then, I would see or heard or read something that encouraged me to change course.

One such day while living in Bakersfield (CA), I was head out for a day at the library-doing some research, writing and then treating myself to lunch. As I crossed a bridge over the Kern River, I glanced at the park--children were splashing in the water and their laughter floated up to me. I turned the car onto the next street, entered the park, found a picnic table and for several hours soaked up not only the sun but the music of that laughter. From time to time I'd make notes, jot down lines to later work into a poem, and other moments I merely closed my eyes and listened.

In this busy season, take some time off for yourself. Banish those old lessons learned of always being productive. Soft, dreamy or daring pleasures are good for the soul. Relax. Take care of yourself. Refresh your spirit. You will find by doing this whenever possible, that you will carry on remarkably well when faced with those times in life that you are not handed what you expected or wanted.

Pleasure yourself today for acceptance tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home