Name:
Location: San Marcos, California, United States

Southern gal living in California. Have been writing since the age of ten and am addicted to the written word. Have stacks of books-to-be-read in almost every room. I teach writing on a volunteer basis and in a paid position. I once worked with foreign customers for an aerospace company; interesting job that gave me great insight into other cultures. Family scattered all over the US so have excuses to travel.

Thursday, August 03, 2006

THE LIFE OF A WANNABEE

I don't know if a "wannabee" is someone who seriously yearns to be somebody famous or important, or an animal. These past few weeks I have felt like a caterpiller who is trying to become a butterfly. I have been attempting to prepare the reading/writing world for my introduction to my own web site. Though exciting on the one hand, I feel like I am not pretty or smart or well-known enough to pretend that I am a lovely butterfly.

I have had no problems promoting my books in person. It has been fun to discuss my books with individuals or groups, to pester the chain bookstores to allow me to do a booksigning (they refuse to allow this even though my books have been in their online bookstores), and I think it is great to be asked to speak on the craft of writing. But this web site is scary stuff.

My wonderful, smart, talented online friend, Patricia, has offered to design and host a site for me. She is overly generous with her time and talents. Patricia makes it sound so easy but I, who remind her I am computer illiterate (lol) find all of the talk about registering, domains, hosting, and links a bit intimidating.
And now she tells me I have to give her some idea of what I want this site to contain.

Oh, my. I now have to write about--me! I have to welcome people to my site, make them feel comfortable enough to read it and return to it from time to time and, hopefully, guide them to the links where they will be encouraged to purchase my books. I must create a bio that will sing, glitter...do something that will make folks think I know something about what I am trying to sell them--my words and myself.

And I will definitely put a link there to direct them to my blog here. Which means I am going to be forced to do a better job of writing in it, let them know what is going on with my writing and my life, and offer them some writing tips that might encourage them to come back for more.

Am I capable of doing this? Of course, I am. After all, I am a writer who creates so others will hear the stories only I can tell. So what's a little blood, sweat and tears spent on creating the content for a web site?

Lordy, I hate the sight of blood--especially my own.

*******
What would you like to read on your web site?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home