Name:
Location: San Marcos, California, United States

Southern gal living in California. Have been writing since the age of ten and am addicted to the written word. Have stacks of books-to-be-read in almost every room. I teach writing on a volunteer basis and in a paid position. I once worked with foreign customers for an aerospace company; interesting job that gave me great insight into other cultures. Family scattered all over the US so have excuses to travel.

Thursday, October 26, 2006

THE REAL FANTASY BLOG

AOL was giving me a fit last night and each letter I typed took two seconds to appear on the screen. I opted to log out, cancel the beginning of my blog on "Fantasy" and give it up. Oops! I didn't hit Publish Post but somehow that one word was published anyway. Forgive me, dear readers, or curse AOL but don't stop reading.

I have been away as you can all see. My daughter and son-in-law were here from Florida for two-weeks plus; we took a cruise and then did the "touristy" thing all over this part of the state of California. Ron was born and grew up in Los Angeles County and wanted to visit some of the old haunts; he, of course, found many changes, most of them not for the better. One sister still lives in the area and he had dinner with her and he visited his father's gravesite at Riverside National Cemetery. It does us all good, I feel, to, at least once, revisit our past. Most of the time, we feel we have a darned good life right where we are.

This has nothing to do with the fantasy piece I was going to write but is my excuse for being offline so long.

When I was a child I loved reading fairy tales, stories of King Arthur and knights, and a scary tale of werewolfs tweaked my imagination--for as long as it took to read the piece. Today I am what you would call a eclectic reader--I read everything. Well, except for those fantasy or sci-fi tales; I just couldn't make my imagination accept those genres. Until I joined a novel round robin with some snail mail writer friends.

A year ago I would have laughed at the mere idea I couldn't wait for the next offering of a fantasy story, or several chapters of a sci-fi book. Today? Yep, I'm hooked!

Other planets? An ape-like man sending out romantic waves to a female scientist? Space travel from planet to planet? The earth as we know it destroyed? KC pulled me into her world out there and I gobbled it up, chapter by chapter, pleading for more. I was able to offer some helpful critiques, I hope, not because I had a thimble full of knowledge about this genre but because I loved the story. I even checked out an anthology of sci-fi stories so that I might improve my knowledge of this type of writing. KC hooked me big time. I'm just waiting to dig into her next manuscript--waiting for me on my desk. If you want to know more about this author, go to: www.escapetimewithkcheath.blogspot.com

I admit I loved King Arthur and related tales as I grew up. I read historical novels in that vein for many years. Then I "filled up" on them and other genres took over. Then I received the first chapters of a book by my friend Diana. The events in Catreena's life and her love/loss of family and husband tore at my heart. The battle scenes, the imaginary kingdom, the descriptions blew me away. And now, darn that Diana, she has gone and shown me the gentle, loveable side of the "enemy" and I've fallen in love with the charming man! To learn more about the characters and even see a map of the kingdom, visit the author at http://casanarva.blogspot.com

Have you ever received a special gift from a favorite relative that you cherished above all others? What if you donned your wedding dress, looked into the mirror and disappeared into another world? That's only the beginning of the fantasy book written by my friend, Tracy. Of course, she has set that hook so deep in me I can hardly wait for each chapter to head my way.

There is a new genre in my reading material. I am so hooked on reading these tales that I wonder if I just might try a story of my own. Since I love the Southwest and Native American culture, what if a young woman finds herself in the Arizona desert and encounters a good-looking Navajo Tribal Policeman who saves her from a skinwalker or shape shifter? What/who are they? You'll have to read my fantasy to find out.
*******
Prompt: Read something from a genre you are sure you could never get into. Give it a fair chance. Write a few short paragraphs on why you do, or don't, enjoy the work.

2 Comments:

Blogger Diana said...

I'm so glad we've introduced you to the very oldest genre of them all, the one that dates back to earliest times when storytellers gathered around the fires and told about the bones of enormous creatures that surely must be dragons and of fairy rings of toadstools in the meadow and the creatures they are sure they saw dancing in the moonlight.

What worlds lie beyond the stars? Who travels there and why? (I saw a fiery chariot dash across the midnight sky last night.) What kings ruled when unicorns were ridden into battle by fearless knights who wore the tokens of fair maidens and thought honor more precious than life? I think I heard someone call to me in the twilight while the mists were rising, but whether 'twas a king or a knight or only the old owl in the poplar tree, I could not tell.

3:27 AM  
Blogger Tracy said...

Thank you so much for the kind words. It is a joy to know you and be working with you.

6:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home