Name:
Location: San Marcos, California, United States

Southern gal living in California. Have been writing since the age of ten and am addicted to the written word. Have stacks of books-to-be-read in almost every room. I teach writing on a volunteer basis and in a paid position. I once worked with foreign customers for an aerospace company; interesting job that gave me great insight into other cultures. Family scattered all over the US so have excuses to travel.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Writing Portfolios

We've all heard of artist's portfolios, usually speical large folders holding examples of the best work by the artist. They are carried by the artist when looking for commissions to paint, jobs in art departments, or when seeking a showing at a gallery of their work. If you are a published writer, you are an artist of words and, as such, why not create and carry your own writing portfolio?

I purchased a dark covered, two-inch ringed notebook, one with the possibility of slipping a cover sheet on the outside. I chose my best published articles, essays, short stories and poetry, placed these in sheet protectors and filed them behind tabbed dividers. These tabs directed the browser to the different categories I have been published in, including a glimpse at the flyers used to promote my two published books.

I set up my writing portfolio in this manner:

Title Page
Resume or bio
Index
Tabbed Dividers:
Books
Articles
Essays
Short Stories
Poetry
Miscellaneous (newsletters, letters-to-the-editor, etc.)


A portfolio is a way of showing that I take my writing seriously. It also allows an editor/publisher/employer a way to access my writing skills at a glance.

Do you attend writer's conferences? Some offer a spot where you can place your portfolio. Do you have a book for sale? Instead of the cutsy symbols of the subject matter within your book, why not offer your portfolio for people to browse through when they approach your table? There might be an editor in the crowd and this will open up the possibility of receivng a favorible go-ahead on submitting your latest manuscript or for an assignment to write for his publication.

Recently, I approached a local editor with a proposal for a column for his weekly free newspaper. When asked for writing credentials, I placed my writing portfolio turned to the index, on the desk before him. I was offered a trial run of my column.

A writing portfolio can do the same for you. It is a proven representation of your writing skills. If you choose pieces that reflect your strengths and the versatility of your writing, it will be one of the most useful tools for propelling yourself up another step on that ladder to writing success.
******
Pull out some of your best work. Place them in sheet protectors.
Begin assembling your writing portfolio--if it's only to show off to your siblings who said you'd never make it as a writer.

2 Comments:

Blogger Constance Brewer said...

Cool idea, Barb! I'll have to try that. My poetry currently occupies one 3 inch binder all by itself. I'm all ways looking for organizational tips. Thanks!

8:44 PM  
Blogger Tracy said...

What a wonderful idea!!

6:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home