Name:
Location: San Marcos, California, United States

Southern gal living in California. Have been writing since the age of ten and am addicted to the written word. Have stacks of books-to-be-read in almost every room. I teach writing on a volunteer basis and in a paid position. I once worked with foreign customers for an aerospace company; interesting job that gave me great insight into other cultures. Family scattered all over the US so have excuses to travel.

Thursday, December 28, 2006

NOTEBOOKS AND A PETUNIA

All of the years I have been teaching creative writing, I have urged others to always carry a notebook of some kind/size with them wherever they go. I do follow what I preach on this one, folks, because if I didn't have that notebook, I would lose more ideas than I can count.

One winter I had a long bout with the flu--very unusual for me as I am seldom ill, usually bounce back in a few days when I am, or never give in to it if possible. But that year I was down and out for a week or more. During one of the long naps I took, I dreamed an entire story. I was too sick to reach for that bedside notebook. Later, I couldn't remember a word about that story. I lost the entire play and characters.

I thought I had it all covered with those notebooks in every purse, each room, many nooks and crannies. I hadn't counted on illness. But I am sure I won't fall victim to this when I am well. That's the reason for all the notebooks, many of which turn into journals that I have stacks of. And I have used many of them to activate my muse successfully.

Several of my online/snail-mail writer-friends and I have been exchanging gifts at Christmas time for two years. We all know each one wants writing materials--pens, sticky note pads, notebooks, journals--and we supply that. But we also let the gal who picks our name know our other interests--music, authors, or a collection we have.

I don't collect much except stacks of books but I have this one small collection I really like--pigs. Maybe it goes back to my childhood when daddy raised pigs and I made the mistake of making a pet of the last one. Maybe I collect them, thinking I am saving them from a sad demise or something. Anyway, that's my collection.

Wendy, a sweet writer and great critiquer from New York state, was my elfin pal this year. She sent me the neatest pens, a lovely purple (my favorite color-how did she know?), thin Moleskin notebooks to put in pocket or purse for all those ideas and--Petunia. Wendy told me later that she found Petunia on a back shelf in a little country store and asked her if she wanted to go to a new home in California. Thank goodness Petunia said yes because she is the sweetest little pinkish-colored pig in my collection.

I think Petunia has magic powers. I imagine she can control my muse. She sits near my computer and, after a too busy month or two, she seems to have spurred me to write. And she does like to snuggle down on one of those Moleskin notebooks, Wendy--do you know if those covers are made of. . .no, that would be too weird.

Use those notebooks. Hold those dreams, musings, thoughts. Use a song that reminds you of a special event in your life. What about those pictures that bring back memories of a once-upon-a-time romance? Use whatever it takes to keep ideas fresh--even a tiny, pink pig named Petunia.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home