Name:
Location: San Marcos, California, United States

Southern gal living in California. Have been writing since the age of ten and am addicted to the written word. Have stacks of books-to-be-read in almost every room. I teach writing on a volunteer basis and in a paid position. I once worked with foreign customers for an aerospace company; interesting job that gave me great insight into other cultures. Family scattered all over the US so have excuses to travel.

Monday, August 09, 2010

HAVE BIOGRAPHIES GROWN UP?

When it comes to writing biographies it seems we have come full circle. Years ago the stories people's lives were enhanced with the authors creativity--in other words, the writer wrote the character to read, for good or bad, like a character in fiction. Then along came the era of "nothing but the facts, ma'am" and writers could not embellish anything no matter how dull the whole book or article was. Now, we are seeing a leaning toward creative nonfiction, even in "true" life stories, and it seems no one is going to be exposed on Oprah as long as the readers buy those books.

"We want biographies that show all sides of a character, humor as well as the ugly, or saintly, side. No more heavy-handed moralistic biographies. These books must be based on solid research but you may tweak the characterization a bit, let us hear the voice even though the author never heard the real person speak, but we should not sanitize the facts."

What double-speak is that? How can a writer write to those guidelines--or were they guidelines? Is this what they call creative nonfiction? And, if this is the definition, are we allowed to use this tool to write the story of someone's life? And if I was writing a biography, how would I handle it?

I've added writing for children to my mix of genre; it's actually not anything new as I have been doing this for years. Maybe I should say that I have come back to it after a long rest. Should I write about my many-times removed cousin, Jessee James, the outlaw from the late 1800's? I don't think young readers today would be interested and certainly not if I couldn't fictionalize the dialogue. Plus, today's youthful readers are much more interested in reading about a sports figure, a rapper, or someone who has overcome great odds--Jim Abbott, a pitcher with one hand, is a good example. I don't think Cousin Jesse has too many redeeming qualities.

Scholastic Books publishes the most biographies for children, mainly because they are used by teacheers who order for their own classes. This thing has been around so long I remember asking my parents for money for Scholastic books in the early 1950's. Who can compete with them? How do we get a book accepted by them?

What sells most? Heroes. But who are heroes today? We've lost Tiger, and Dennis Rodman,with green hair and nose rings, already has his biography for young readers. Astronauts used to be high on the list and scientists--they seem to be passe now. Books about minority women are popular. So shall I write about the woman in our western history who passed herself off as a man in order to live an exciting life as a stagecoach driver? She also became the first woman to legally vote in this country. Would Scholastic, or anyone, purchase such a book? The answer is no. Why? Because today's kids never heard about her. You know, when I had to read Shakespeare, he was long dead and I had never heard of him either.

If we are lucky, we will find a publisher willing to read our biographies--ones of women minorities and people who are not super famous. We might be able to sell them on historical figures no longer living--so they don't have to be revised and have a longer shelf life--or the biography of someone who just lived a fun life. We know they will never become bestsellers but they are in constant demand.

Biographies are a lot of research, aren't that easy to write, and are difficult to sell. But I remember how much I enjoyed reading them as a child and feeling I knew this people from reading about their lives.

I think it's worth writing a biography.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home