Name:
Location: San Marcos, California, United States

Southern gal living in California. Have been writing since the age of ten and am addicted to the written word. Have stacks of books-to-be-read in almost every room. I teach writing on a volunteer basis and in a paid position. I once worked with foreign customers for an aerospace company; interesting job that gave me great insight into other cultures. Family scattered all over the US so have excuses to travel.

Friday, July 23, 2010

ORIGINAL DETAILS

One of the best pieces of advice I was ever given was to use original details in my writing.

Life is so rich. I can write down those real details into my scenes and hardly need to create any others. Really? Not true in all cases. If I only use those details I know first hand from my own experiences, my writing may sound rigid. I need to make up or create some to give my writing more believability.

I love the South I was born in. I have been told I write with a Southern voice which thrills me. If I asked myself why I choose this setting again and again, part of the reason is probably because I feel I know the details--or can make them up with some authority. I know the people there, how they talk, react, and the emotions they show--or don't. I can write about them and the places they live because they are me. And I don't think I would do too well writing about other places. For example,if I have just been to New Orleans for a visit of nostalgia on a heat-filled, dripping August afternoon, stopped to have boiled crayfish and a Jax beer at the Magnolia Bar on St. Charles Street, I'm not going home and write about some off-beat bar in Chicago.

Where are the details?

Be aware of the details around you, but don't be self-conscious. You will naturally take in your environment; later you will be able to sit at your desk and bring these recollections to the screen in a positive way.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home