Name:
Location: San Marcos, California, United States

Southern gal living in California. Have been writing since the age of ten and am addicted to the written word. Have stacks of books-to-be-read in almost every room. I teach writing on a volunteer basis and in a paid position. I once worked with foreign customers for an aerospace company; interesting job that gave me great insight into other cultures. Family scattered all over the US so have excuses to travel.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

CATCHING UP

Hopefully, I have sufficiently recovered from eye surgery to once more keep this blog up. Of course, that is just one of my excuses for not being as consciencious about writing this blog as I should be. Now, my brother introduced me to Facebook and my kids, grandkids and old classmates have me hooked. Also, I am back to teaching and writing and reviewing so...

My critique pals, Lora and Carol met while I was "laid up" so have kept the group going. Carol's workshop schedule has picked up so it might be Lora and I for the most part, especially since Carol is beginning her own speaking engagements soon. Lora and I write along the same lines so much it won't hamper us. We met last week and spent four hours critiquing, talking writing, and were a great help to each other. I am hoping to continue this no matter what happens.

I'm back into my book: BJ and the Alligator Stomp. It sat for a year or so while I worked on other projects and I felt I needed something for my snail-mail critique group so pulled it out. I have actually written several chapters in a few weeks so that has encouraged me. I need to go back and insert a chapter showing the on-going conflict (even after thirty years) between BJ and Pete, and rewrite their first new encounter. Can you believe I have them meeting again when BJ plows into his shiny black pickup with the U-Haul truck she is driving? Well, what can you expect from an author who has her main character in "Aunt Lutie's Cafe" meet the sheriff while climbing out of a dumpster?

Lora also has encouraged me to submit a children's story to a picture-book publisher. I am in the process of looking up such publishers and then I need to do the dreaded query or cover letter. She can certainly help me with this as this writing is right up her alley. She writes the greatest children's stories! I am sure she will find more than one publisher for her work this year.

I'll have more to say along those lines in this blog as time goes by.

The weather has been improving--though the wind is still high and the fire danger is growing. Our garden is producing and the camera has been kept busy with snapshots of all the beautiful blooms and nature. I need to work on some poetry/photo booklets again.

So many ideas, so little time.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home