Name:
Location: San Marcos, California, United States

Southern gal living in California. Have been writing since the age of ten and am addicted to the written word. Have stacks of books-to-be-read in almost every room. I teach writing on a volunteer basis and in a paid position. I once worked with foreign customers for an aerospace company; interesting job that gave me great insight into other cultures. Family scattered all over the US so have excuses to travel.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

NEW EYES

I am having the first of two cataract surgeries tomorrow. Surprise to me, as it was suppoed to be April 7. However, I have scrambled to get some projects completed in the last two days since finding out about the change, and am ready to go.

I attend a writer's conference on book marketing on Saturday with two dear writer friends. Some of the points were well taken but we three agreed that most of this marketing was out of our league. Do I have money for 10,000 copies of my books and give away 5,000? Do I have extra money to give a cruise away in a contest for purchasers of my book? Can you hear me laughing all the way to your front door? I was a little disappointed that most of what I heard was not for the ordinary writer. Even traditional publishers don't give out such goodies on behalf of their writers.

I am going to be out of the loop for a few days while my eyesight reaches a certain point of healing but I have a few writing tapes I will listen to and can make notes on some ideas I have "squirrelling around in my head"--and hopefully, be able to read my hen scratch when I recoup.

Though this is "a piece of cake" as others have told me, my doctor has said there are 95% "perfect sight" outcome, but then there's that 5% that goes wrong. So keep me in your prayers, or at least send good thoughts toward my Dr. Zane.

2 Comments:

Blogger Perle said...

Luck on the surgery. Found you thru writersweekly. So agree on the promotion of books. Friend published her first novel "Noah's Wife" late last year thru a small publisher and has promoted w/o having to give anything away except her first chapter which is posted on her blog. Everytime I catch up with her on FB, she's off on a signing - even been invited to speak/sign in Turkey which figures prominently in her book.

12:50 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

So many of these promotional things are way beyond the means of most of us. You've got to have money to make money! The other thing they expect is an expenditure of TIME, which most of us can't afford. Well, at least with my fantasy world, I wouldn't have to worry about being invited to do a book tour. (Although I'd LOVE to go!)

6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home