Name:
Location: San Marcos, California, United States

Southern gal living in California. Have been writing since the age of ten and am addicted to the written word. Have stacks of books-to-be-read in almost every room. I teach writing on a volunteer basis and in a paid position. I once worked with foreign customers for an aerospace company; interesting job that gave me great insight into other cultures. Family scattered all over the US so have excuses to travel.

Saturday, April 11, 2009

DAUGHTERS

On June 22, 1961, my beautiful daughter, Elizabeth Lauren, was born. She was, has been and is the apple of my eye, a wonderful daughter, wife, mother and now, grandmother. She and I are close though we live 3,000 miles apart. No one could take her place in my heart.

There is room in a mother's heart for everyone. On February 15, 2009, another beautiful woman slipped into her place in mine. Jarkata became the wife of my son, Edward (Eddie), and brought a new joy to me.

I haven't met my new daughter-in-law yet. They were married in Reno, will live in the Sacramento area of California, but she is back in the South working through tax season and the end of the school year before she will officially move to be with her husband. Until then, we talk via email to each other.

It's not that hard for one woman-wife-mother to size up another. She is a jewel. From all accounts from my son, her two children, Anna and Michael, are precious, well-behaved--children with those Southern manners I pray will not be corrupted by living in California. She shares her concerns about them, and I admire her for that. And she longs to make a home for them with my Eddie as soon as possible--and that endears her to me.

As a writer, it delights me that she reads and writes poetry when the muse creeps up on her and time permits. She is reading my work and enjoying it--that makes me feel good. I hope that we can one day soon share some of our work--in person.

The most important thing to a mother is for her children to be loved and to be happy. My son sounds like the happiest, luckiest man on earth. Jarkata says he is wonderful and expresses to me how much she loves him, how fortunate they both are to have found each other. That touches my heart, warms me inside, brings a tear to my eye.

Because that is all I can ask for, isn't it? That these two newlyweds will cling to each other, share the good and the not so wonderful aspects of life with love, caring, forgiveness, and laughter. No mother could ask for more.

Jarkata has asked if she may call me Mom. Isn't that wonderful? How honored I feel that she is comfortable asking--and doing so. I have a new daughter, a wonderful addition to our family. I can't wait to hug her and her children, to welcome them, and to see for myself that my son is loved.

Blessings, prayers, love to you both but especially to you, Jarkata.

Mom

1 Comments:

Blogger Tracy said...

What a lucky woman she is to have you as a mother-in-law. :)

8:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home