Name:
Location: San Marcos, California, United States

Southern gal living in California. Have been writing since the age of ten and am addicted to the written word. Have stacks of books-to-be-read in almost every room. I teach writing on a volunteer basis and in a paid position. I once worked with foreign customers for an aerospace company; interesting job that gave me great insight into other cultures. Family scattered all over the US so have excuses to travel.

Tuesday, December 04, 2007

POETRY, ANYONE?

Do you read poetry? If you do, that's so cool. Many people don't. Do you write poetry? If the answer is yes, I am a fan of yours forever. Contrary to what many people over the years (and today) believe, we poets are not a bunch of weird, sitting-in-the-dark, whining or spewing, radicals.

Poets are everyday, ordinary, walk-of-the-life writers who can touch your funny bone, or your soul, in a special way. They have a certain magic that allows them to see the world around them (or in their imagination) uniquely.

If you aren't into poetry, do me a favor? Go to a bookstore or library, sneak into the poetry aisle, pull a book down (I will bet you recognize some of the names of poets there), choose a secluded spot, sit down and choose a few poems to read. Many times when we immerse ourselves in a new craft, we want to try it out ourselves. That's what happened to me--long ago Daddy read poetry to me at night and by the age of ten I was creating birthday and holiday lines for everyone.

Recently I read (in "The Writer's Chronicle") an interview of poet Alan Shapiro by poet Christian Teresi. Alan said he started writing poetry, indirectly, because of a broken nose and wrist. At the time, he listed to a lot of folk music and rock and roll; his early poetry seemed to follow those lines.

In my Texas home, Mama always had the radio, tuned to a Country/Western music station. Especially in the 1940's and 1950's, those songs told stories. When I really got into writing poetry mode, my work was a story in rhymed form. It was a few years before I broke out into that broken-hearted teenage angst and patriotic overtures in my poetry. Like Alan Shapiro points out, life presents great subject material for poetry.

Going through the slow, painful failure of a marriage years ago, drew poetry out of me that reflected that stage of my life. When I divorced there were lines of regret, guilt--and then freedom. And, several years after that upheavel, and much to my surprise, finding (or he found me) my true soul mate, gave a definite pure joy uplift to my poetry.

These days my poetry is a cry for our broken country, for young, damaged returning warriors, for disenfrangised people, and a deep thankfulness to God who has blessed my life in all ways. I haven't come full circle yet--I'm not writing twanging country lines yet. But I imagine that's on the horizon.

Read it. Write it. Poetry is life's truth in song form.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tracy said...

How true! I too started writing poetry the first time my heart was shattered as a teenager. I haven't spent any time on it lately, but do love it. My sister-in-law surprised me with her poetry skills with the invitation to her daughter's birthday party. I posted it on my blog, with her permission of course. :)

6:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home