Name:
Location: San Marcos, California, United States

Southern gal living in California. Have been writing since the age of ten and am addicted to the written word. Have stacks of books-to-be-read in almost every room. I teach writing on a volunteer basis and in a paid position. I once worked with foreign customers for an aerospace company; interesting job that gave me great insight into other cultures. Family scattered all over the US so have excuses to travel.

Monday, July 23, 2007

DO IT TODAY

I'm too busy to be a writer. LOL Well, that's what I have about figured out when I read all of these how-to articles. I teach others to write, drive neighbors to doctor appointments, take care of a home, keep my hubby happy, try out new recipes and try to use a little of the creative abilities God blessed me with--but not as often as I should.

In one of the recent newsletters I received, a writer (of crime stories it seems), suggested that we writers who are too busy should do several things to make sure we find the time to write. Some of them were the common sense ones we all know (but don't follow), like carry a notebook with us or a tape recorder and write during those extra moments we all waste. Or stay in the chair. Turn off the telephone. But this particular gal went a little too far with several of these--some of which I might need to try.

Like tie a leg to the computer chair so you have to stay in that spot until you write.

I think the idea of ordering takeout more often--even ice cream or popcorn as suggested--is a great idea. If I didn't have to cook, I could devote another hour or two to writing. Right? I wonder if hubby Ray would go for that? Well, he is supportive of my writing--but I don't think it would work each night.

Say no to social dates isn't hard. We don't go out a lot socially.

The last one was a hard one--sell the TV. Hey, my TV is a research tool. I write romantic suspense when I create fiction and I need to learn all I can. I read a lot of those type of books but I need the visual aides too--like CSI (I prefer Vegas to Miami, thank you), Close to Home, The Ghost Whisperer, The closer--I mean, those shows teach me a lot. Maybe I could even claim my new TV and DVD player (for suspenseful movies, of course) on my income tax--if I had any income to claim.

Okay, okay, I'll find something else to give up in order to write, okay? What will you give up?

Let's write!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home