Name:
Location: San Marcos, California, United States

Southern gal living in California. Have been writing since the age of ten and am addicted to the written word. Have stacks of books-to-be-read in almost every room. I teach writing on a volunteer basis and in a paid position. I once worked with foreign customers for an aerospace company; interesting job that gave me great insight into other cultures. Family scattered all over the US so have excuses to travel.

Wednesday, December 05, 2007

I DON'T THINK I BELONG HERE

Each Wednesday morning from 9-11:30, I teach a creative writing class as a volunteer at a local Senior Center. This particular group has named themselves Word Weavers and are a very cohesive group--caring for each other in the craft and personally. The numbers see-saw between 12 and 18; some have been in this group for 20 years (I just took over the class two years ago when the leader gave it up due to her husband's illness), others are newcomers. I thought they all were secure in their feeling welcomed, needed and appreciated. Until today.

Angel (named changed but it suits her personality) came to me after the class and the first words that popped out of her mouth was, "I don't think I belong here." I was surprised and immediately questioned her. "Have I said something that makes you feel that way? Has a member of the group been too harsh in their critiques? Why do you feel this way?" Her answer made me smile. "I am such a quirky writer. My work doesn't fit any of the other work I hear."
I managed to remind her that no one should be able to write like she does.

We writers are not the same, nor should we be. We each have a unique voice, a special way of putting our life, our feelings, our joys and sorrows, our dreams, and our fantasies on paper. We
need to learn to celebrate the differences, the wonderful beauty of that, rather than worry about the fact we aren't writing the same as others.

Writers need to be honest in their writing. Everyone is not the same. We don't have like life experiences. We don't enjoy the same things, eat the same food, read the same books, view the same movies, or love the same kind of people. Writers are privileged in their differences; only we can write our stories, share that part of ourselves that is not like others.

Angel belongs here. She makes us see the beauty in a sunset, the sadness in a family member's dementia, the smile on her granddaughter's face when she slips into one of the dresses Angel creates, and her sharing of life as Angel sees it. She reminds us all of what we want to share with others that only we can write about.

Prompt: Write a quirky poem, a humorous essay, a sad story, a memoir of a by-gone era--anything that shows the reader the "real" you. We'll get to know not only you the person but you the writer through your sharing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home