Name:
Location: San Marcos, California, United States

Southern gal living in California. Have been writing since the age of ten and am addicted to the written word. Have stacks of books-to-be-read in almost every room. I teach writing on a volunteer basis and in a paid position. I once worked with foreign customers for an aerospace company; interesting job that gave me great insight into other cultures. Family scattered all over the US so have excuses to travel.

Sunday, March 22, 2009

REVENGE

"He who seeks revenge should remember to dig two graves."
-Thich Nhat Hanl

I don't think my tales of revenge end up with more than one grave as the quote says. In most instances (there are a few exceptions), no one dies but some of the guys I write about probably wish they were gone before it is over. The women who seek this revenge, come out well in the end--not in a grave.

There are many interesting ways to get even when a man has done you wrong. The most common, of course, is to kick the so-and-so out of your life and discover the new world around you. But, in fiction, you can do them in in any manner you can dream up...poison, gunshot, embarrassment, placement in a psych ward, set him up as the fall guy for a crime--ah, revenge is so sweet.

I've completed my last corrections/rewrites of my collection of these stories of revenge, "Pink Poodle Pie (and Other Tales of Women Getting Even)." I have decided, after more than a few rejections from traditional publishers, to self-publish. That's not as easy as some folks might think.

The companies have to be checked out. You need to find other authors who have used them, see how they handled these writers, the promotion of the book (I do know that most of that is up to you and I these days), and read their contracts very closely. You need to know what the cost is up front, how much each book will cost if you buy 50, 100, 5,000 (good luck, selling that many right off the bat!) and understand how many books you have to sell in order for them to consider publishing another of your masterpieces. Even though you pay for the set-up, a good self-publishing company wants their authors to be successful and, therefore, should be "choosy" about what they put out there.

I've already decided on a promotion plan if this collection is published. . .but that's for another blog.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home