Name:
Location: San Marcos, California, United States

Southern gal living in California. Have been writing since the age of ten and am addicted to the written word. Have stacks of books-to-be-read in almost every room. I teach writing on a volunteer basis and in a paid position. I once worked with foreign customers for an aerospace company; interesting job that gave me great insight into other cultures. Family scattered all over the US so have excuses to travel.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

DOWN THE DRAIN

"You can never go down the drain." (Mr. Rogers)

Our beloved Mr. Rogers was speaking to children when he reminded them not to fear--in this case, pulling the plug while sitting in the bathtub--but he could have been speaking to me these past six weeks or so. I have felt like I was going down some big drain, water all around me, pieces of drift wood or seaweed clogging up the way, wondering if I was paddling against the tide.

That's the way I feel when I am not able to devote myself to writing. I did a pretty good job while on vacation in early June: I wrote several stories on a novel, typed up half of the July/August issue of my Soul Sisters inspirational newsletter, drafted two articles and outlined a proposal for a nonfiction book I've had in mind for months. Then the muse got all tied up in life.

July found me busy with volunteering while a friend was back East babysitting her first grandchild. Vacation Bible School came along last week--fun but exhausting. I managed to get off four pieces to a contest, write two articles for my church newsletter and then my writing slid off into the mud. Or the water in that drain.

I promise you I am not so far down that drain yet that I can't work my way back up, readers. I will try to speak to you more often, keep cool in this unseasonably hot weather for San Diego County, CA, and keep my promise to write a chapter a week on my novel.

I've taken the first step--my butt is stuck to the chair--I never was one who could write standing up.

******

Do you remember any other thing Mr. Rogers said that seemed to be meant for you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home