Name:
Location: San Marcos, California, United States

Southern gal living in California. Have been writing since the age of ten and am addicted to the written word. Have stacks of books-to-be-read in almost every room. I teach writing on a volunteer basis and in a paid position. I once worked with foreign customers for an aerospace company; interesting job that gave me great insight into other cultures. Family scattered all over the US so have excuses to travel.

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

PURPLE

Several weeks ago at the memoir writing class I teach, I gave my students an assignment to write about a color--red, since it was the month of Valentine's--and at our last session they came back with some very good essays. One wrote that the color of red reminded her of anger; a gentleman said it reminded him of a dress his wife (now deceased) often wore, several reminded us that red is a part of our flag and most every patriotic celebration we have in this country, and I wrote about the red barn at my parent's homeplace.

But red isn't really my favorite color. I love the color purple.

The royal robes worn in Biblical times were purple. That in itself should give me a clue as to why my favorite color is purple. But I'm not royalty and, although a Christian, I don't reckon God has washed away my sins enough to consider me ready for a purple robe.

Actually, if you look in my closet you will find a rainbow of colors. I wear some because the chart (remember the color parties we used to have?) says I am a mixture of fall and spring. Others are "in style" so I don them when around certain people. But if I was free from those voices that mentions seasonal colors or style, I would probably wear my favorite color every day. Purple slacks, skirt, sweats. Lavender shoes and purse. I am often, my colorful wardrobe left lingering in the closet, called the "lady in purple."

Purple is the color of grapes which I love and eggplant which I'm less fond of. When I am fortunate enough to walk the beach on a winter evening, different shades of this color may tint the sky moments before dark descends. Just yesterday I saw a metallic purple PT Cruiser(TM) and contemplated a carjacking. I'm into a purple craze it seems.

So, you who read this blog mostly devoted to writing say, what does the love of the color purple have to do with my favorite habit of writing?

I write most everything I do in longhand first. You can't see it but all of the words you are reading in black on white is merely an illusion. It's all originally done in purple ink.

TIP: Use all the senses in your writing. They will liven up characters, scenes, plot, dialogue and color your story with whatever tint you want readers to see.

PROMPT: Pick your favorite color and write an essay or a poem about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home